Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Hello Carob!

Recently I had a huge sweet craving, which I will sometimes have, but I have to remind myself not to binge. So I was at a health food store, Foodworks in Monroe, CT, and I found these carob, cashew, coconut bars-oh was I in heaven. These bars are a must try for anyone who loves carob or just is craving something sweet, but want a healthy choice (I am enjoying one as I write). I knew carob was a great alternative to chocolate, but I didn't realize all the benefits of this sweet treat! Here is what I found:

-Unlike chocolate, carob is naturally sweet, so you do not have to add lots of sweeteners to make it taste yummy
-It's an alkaline food
-Has three times as much calcium as chocolate
-Lower in fat than chocolate (contains about 1% of fat compared to 24% fat in cocoa)
-Aids digestion
-Carob is thought to help prevent lung cancer
-Contains gallic acid, which has anti-viral and anti-bacterial properties that will help keep you healthy
-Doesn't contain any harmful stimulants including caffeine, theobromine, or theophylline 
-Helps stabilize your blood sugar levels
-Contains Vitamin A, Vitamin B, Vitamin D, Calcium, Potassium, Iron, Magnesium, Manganese, Selenium, Fiber, Antioxidants, Protein
-Not addictive

If your craving a sweet treat, look no further than carob-it's a guilt free sweet (of course in moderation)! 



No comments:

Post a Comment