Thursday, July 5, 2012

'I Am' VS. 'I Feel'

For those of you who do not know, I recently went on an online radio station, FTNS, to talk about child and teen diabetes and obesity. During the show, I focused on self-image. How we perceive ourselves is a huge mental struggle not only during the teenager years, but throughout our life. This is why understanding the difference between 'I am' and 'I feel' is so important. When we say 'I am "fat"', we are saying a statement that is very self-limiting and attaching ourselves to a personal belief. However when you say 'I feel "fat"', it's no longer self-limiting. When you say 'I feel "fat"', you are able to understand and accept the feeling. With understanding, comes transformation. If you keep telling yourself, "you are fat", are really going to feel motivated to exercise and eat right? No. You are simply putting yourself down. But if you change the 'am' to 'feel', you can say "I feel fat, but that's not who I am." You can turn it into an affirmation, which is part of the transformation, "When I feel "fat", I understand that's not who I am and that I can make a choice to improve my health and eliminate that feeling." Understanding the difference between 'am' and 'feel' has changed my perception of myself and given me a much stronger mindset.

*I used the term "fat" because it was the focus of the radio show I was on. You can replace "fat" with any word you think you are or are feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment