Monday, May 14, 2012

Flexibility with Food

In the past four weeks I have spent a total of 42 hours on many planes. To say the least I feel exhausted. This past week I was in Warsaw, Poland at an Original Play Cultural Exchange. This particular experience challenged me in many ways-emotionally, physically, and mentally. But facing those challenges allowed for me to grow even more. The biggest growing experience for me was probably being forced to be flexible with my food. At home I am strict with myself; eating every few hours and planning each balanced meal. This trip I was forced to let go. I was thrown into circumstances where all I could do is make the best possible decision out of options I was faced with. I had to learn that not everywhere I go, I will find the healthiest food. This past week I didn't nearly eat half as many fruits and vegetables I normally eat. My mind struggled to let go with this fact. I wanted to obsess over the situation of my food. But obsessing or being too caught up in my eating habits would have been just as detrimental to my mental health. I had to teach myself the art of making the best out of the situation. Throughout the trip, I was frustrated that I couldn't find dark leafy green salads or even broccoli. But then I forced myself to realize that I needed to stay in the present moment and is this the end of the world? No was the answer. I realized I had been choosing to focus on the negative aspects of the situation instead of the positive. The learning experience out of this trip was to make the most out of each situation and that though I may not always be able to find the 'perfect' meal, it's okay. I learned to be flexible and that was a very valuable experience for me!

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful, Tessa! And congrats from a fellow food freak ;) With love!

    ReplyDelete