Sunday, December 19, 2010

What to eat when you are out at the mall?

Sometimes I get very frustrated at the American culture because malls are packed with junk food. Last weekend I was starving at the mall and I couldn't find barely anything healthy that I could eat. This made me stressed out  and cranky. And no one wants to be cranky or stressed at a mall. You also do not want to wait till you get home because then you are more likely to overeat. I now have some tips on what to do if you are going to the mall and you want a snack. If you can, try to bring your own snack. Nuts or a piece of fruit is a good option. If you forget to bring your own snacks, I recommend going to Starbucks and getting their chicken on flatbread with hummus artisan snack plate or the deluxe fruit plate or the perfect oatmeal. All of these are healthy snacks that won't make you feel bad and are actually healthy! When you need a snack, look for an item low in fat (unless it is natural/healthy fats), high in protein, and low in sugar and salt! Do not skip snacks, you want to keep your metabolism working and by not eating snacks, it slows it down. I hope these tips help:)

1 comment:

  1. Some people commented that my earlier option (Panera bread's black bean soup) was too unhealthy! I listed this as an option because honestly there are so many bad things for you at the mall. I tried to pick the one's that were cleaner. You have to understand that I am trying to find different places that have options and they are very few. Understand that most teenagers when they go to the mall are eating McDonald's Triple Thick Chocolate Shake and eight grams of saturated fat and mono- and diglycerides, guar gum, dextrose, sodium citrate, artificial vanilla flavor, sodium phosphate, carrageenan, disodium phosphate, cellulose gum, vitamin A palmitate. I can't even pronounce half of these. I try to pick foods with natural or non-articial ingredients. However the Panera Bread's soup contains NO artificial ingredients. Here are the ingredients: Water, black beans, onions, celery, vegetable base (baked carrots, lima beans, natural flavorings, tomato paste, cooked potatoes, corn oil, celery, onions), modified corn starch, red peppers, salt, spices, lemon juice, garlic powder. I appreciate your feedback and please understand the message I am trying to pass onto teenagers. Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete