Monday, December 26, 2011

"Healthy" Labels to Look Out for...

Sometimes those "healthy" labels aren't so healthy.  We've all seen the fat-free, gluten-free, sugar-free, and diet labels, but just because an item is labeled that, doesn't mean it's the best for us. I think when teens (especially teenage girls) see fat-free they purchase the product. But if the product isn't naturally fat-free (such as fruits and veggies), it's containing chemicals that's making the food fat-free. Currently researchers are investigating the theory that fat-substitutes may interfere with our body's ability to recognize and regulate how much food our body needs, thus causing us to eat more. I, personally, am a fan of gluten-free foods, but I do have to be cautious of the sugar, fat, protein, and other nutrients. I feel better when I eat gluten free, but certain gluten-free breads have up to 13 more times fat and 16 times more protein than regular bread. I do not drink any kind of soda, regular nor diet, and I recommend you do the same. Some might believe diet soda is better for you, but researchers at the University of Texas at San Antonio found that people who drank two or more diet sodas daily had a six times greater increase in their waist at the end of a ten year study than those who didn't drink diet soda. Be cautious of those "healthy" labels!

No comments:

Post a Comment