Saturday, January 28, 2012

Setting Goals In Your Workout

Today I set a goal of mine: 300 burpees in less than an hour. Guess what? I accomplished my goal! I completed 300 burpees in 47 minutes. I felt like I died afterwards and had to lay on the floor for a good five minutes before I was able to get up. It was the most amazing feeling when I was completing my final burpee. I can't explain the feeling of completing a goal in a workout. Two years ago, I could not do a push up if my life depended on it. I was constantly making excuses to stop my workout midway. I would constantly fix my ponytail and get a "water break." Every time I felt weak or unable to accomplish my workout, I gave into it. If I couldn't do something, my mind would go "You are physically out of shape.Why are you even trying?" For the longest time, I let my mind get the best of me. I felt like because I couldn't do a push up was the exact reason why I should stop trying. I think a lot of people face this when they try to work out. I finally got to a point, where I wanted it so badly. I wanted to be in incredible shape. I knew my mindset wasn't working. Just because I couldn't do something wasn't an excuse to stop trying. So I set goals and I accomplished them. I motivated myself by wanting to be strong physically and mentally. If you dedicate the time and put in the effort, you will improve in your workout. I can honestly say if I didn't push myself at times when I thought I couldn't do it, I wouldn't be where I am today. Start off small and build your way up. You can do it. I could never do a push up or a proper crunch when I started. Because of my effort and will to succeed I did 300 burpees today. I have footage of me trying to do a burpee from when I first started. I cringe when I watch it, it's that bad. My elbows barely make a 45 degree angle when I try to do a push up. I couldn't do the timing of jumping back into my squat from the push up. It looks extremely awkward. I could've let that get the best of me, but I didn't. I slowly built my way up. I first set a goal to do a proper push up. Then I increased the amount of push ups. Then I built my coordination. Slowly I put together all the aspects of a burpee and finally I got it! Then I was able to increase my amount and intensity. I set goals and went after them. It's that simple. Set goals and go after them. You will surprise yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment