Monday, April 9, 2012

Stressed? Overwhelmed?

Sometimes I forgot blogging should also reflect on personal experiences. So I am here to reflect on my current state of feeling overwhelmed. Yes, I too get overwhelmed. But if I think about it I am choosing to feel stressed and go into the state of "Oh my goodness, there's too much work!" I think it's easier for us to feel stressed, then it is to take a step back and look at the situation. When I step back and look, I am better able to assess what I need to do-I then can decided what's important and what can wait. Sometimes I'll even write down everything I feel like I need to do, then I'll look back and see everything I wrote down and realize that I a lot of what I felt like I needed to accomplish, in reality, wasn't an immediate concern. I feel in our heads we tend to make things a lot bigger and of more importance, but in reality it isn't life or death, yet we make ourselves believe it is. For example, during my driving test, I was able to step back and recognize that if I failed (which I didn't) no one was going to die, I was still going to be okay, I would still have a home to come home to, and my family would still love me. Once I was able to recognize that, then I didn't feel so stressed. The test didn't seem so monumental. I think as teens we can get caught up in things that seem monumental to us, but in reality are very small compared to what's going on in the world. Here's what I suggest when you feel overwhelmed: Write It Down. Look Back. Recognize What's Important and What Can Wait. But do this honestly! You have to be honest with yourself. You do yourself no good lying and saying everything's important and you have to do everything right now. Everything will get done, and probably you'll do everything at a much higher quality when you're not stressed and attacking the situation from a practical and calm mindset.

No comments:

Post a Comment