Saturday, February 12, 2011

February Blues

Personally, I am suffering with the February blues and I think everyone is. I feel more irritable, anxious, and stressed. I am having a hard time dealing with people and find myself wanting to be alone- secluded (which no one should do). I feel everyone is fighting with each other and no one is getting along! When I feel really anxious during these winter months I seek out new techniques to help myself reach a state of content. I just recently learned a breathing technique to help myself relax. First thing to do is lay on your bed and put your hands on your stomach. Take a deep breath and inflate your stomach to look like a giant balloon. Count how many seconds it takes you to inhale, then on your exhale make sure to exhale two seconds longer than your inhale. So if my inhale was three seconds, my exhale would be five seconds. Don't get caught up in "Wow, this is lame I have to lay on bed and take deep breaths to relax." It's not lame and I know from experience that the longer you let stress and anxiety build up the harder it is to recover and relax. So if you are feeling those February blues, try this breathing technique.

1 comment:

  1. brilliant. just tried it, and i got so relaxed that i actually fell asleep for a few seconds there. ;)

    ReplyDelete