Sunday, February 20, 2011

Whole Grain Goodness!

Sometimes my parents wonder why I can't just eat regular wheat pasta. It's because it does not contain the entire grain, like whole grain pasta does. I can't eat white bread because it's not good for me and it honestly doesn't make me feel good, instead I feel lethargic. That's why I choose to eat foods loaded with whole grains. "Whole grains or foods made from them contain all the essential parts and naturally-occuring nutrients of the entire grain seed." (The Whole Grain Council) In 2005, the Dietary Guidelines for Americans suggested adults should eat at least 3-5 servings of whole grains a day. Some whole grains are corn, oats, quinoa, rice (brown and colored), rye, wheat and much more! Medical studies have shown that eating foods rich in whole grains reduce the risk of heart disease, stroke, cancer, diabetes, and obesity! It's now easier to find whole grain foods with the whole grain stamp. When you are food shopping, keep an eye out for a stamp that looks like this:
Whole Grain Stamp

No comments:

Post a Comment