Sunday, October 16, 2011

Apples! Apples! Apples!

By the title of the blog post you can tell I really like apples! During the fall, I tend to eat at least two servings of apples a day (just a bit obsessed). Whole Foods has a great organic cinnamon applesauce. Whenever my friends see me pull out my container filled with applesauce, they are asking me for a taste, it's just so delicious. Yes applesauce is still cool, even if your a teenager. Since it's fall and I am surrounded by apple orchards I tend to have apples and organic self-grind peanut butter as my afternoon snack. It's a heavenly combination! Apples not only taste amazing, they are really good for us. They are packed with phytonutrients, an organic component of plants, known for promoting health. They contain no saturated fats or cholesterol, but are rich in fiber, which helps prevent absorption of dietary LDL cholesterol in the gut. Since apples are rich in phytonutrients, they help protect our body from the effects of free radicals. In addition, apples are a good source of B-complex vitamins, which help as cofactors for enzymes in the metabolism. There's a reason for the saying, "an apple a day, keeps the doctor away."

No comments:

Post a Comment