Saturday, February 25, 2012

Have Overwhelming Thoughts?

There is so much going on during my junior year of high school-my brain is constantly overloaded with thoughts. However, I am learning about and applying mindfulness and the 'Mindsight' practice developed by Dr. Daniel Siegal. These practices have thought me to be aware of my thoughts. So how does that help me? When I have too many thoughts, and I am able to be aware of them, I can then identify which ones are crazy and unrealistic, and the ones that are there for a good reason. It's easy for my crazy, unrealistic thoughts to get the best of me, but because I've learned to be aware of them, they don't affect me in a negative way anymore. Instead of saying, "I am really stressed out and I can't get all my work done", I've learned to ask myself, "Why do I feel stressed? Well I feel stressed because I have a lot of work to do. But I know I can handle the amount of work." This slight change will tremendously helps me to feel more confident and at ease when I am faced with a lot of work. Taken from Dr. Siegal's website 'Mindsight' is: 
       "Mindsight" is a term coined by Dr. Dan Siegel to describe our human capacity to perceive the mind of the self and others. It is a powerful lens through which we can understand our inner lives with more clarity, integrate the brain, and enhance our relationships with others. Mindsight is a kind of focused attention that allows us to see the internal workings of our own minds. It helps us get ourselves off of the autopilot of ingrained behaviors and habitual responses. It lets us “name and tame” the emotions we are experiencing, rather than being overwhelmed by them.
On Dr. Daniel Siegal's website, there are podcasts that are worth listening to and much more information. I've listened to the 'Wheel of Awareness' podcast and it was amazing! The link to his website is http://drdansiegel.com/home/

No comments:

Post a Comment