Saturday, April 2, 2011

Our Brain and Our Appetite!

I am personally fascinated by the human body, especially our brain! Our brain controls our body and I think it's incredible (yes, I am a brain dork). I am currently reading 'Nutrition for Dummies'. I want to be better educated in nutrition and on what our body needs to function. While reading the book, I noticed a section that really fascinated me-knowing when we are full. Scientists have discovered that our hypothalmus, a small gland on top of the brain stem, is in charge of controlling our appetite. It stores hormones and chemicals that controls hunger. One job the hypothalmus does is release neuropeptide Y, a chemical that attaches itself onto brain cells and sends out the signal-Need food! There are body cells that are responsible for telling our body and brain when we are full. There is a gene in fat cells that directs the production of a hormone called leptin. Leptin regulates your hunger by telling your body how much fat you've stored. Leptin is also responsible for the reduction of the hypothalamus's secretion of neuropeptide Y. Rockefeller University discovered leptin and they also conducted an experiment where they injected leptin into specially bred fat mice, the mice then mice ate less, burned food faster, and lost major amounts of weight. I think it's amazing that a gene in fat cells is responsible for controlling our appetite. Our next step is to learn more about healthy eating and the correct amounts we need to have a healthy body!

No comments:

Post a Comment