Saturday, April 16, 2011

Self-Esteem

I think one of the hardest challenges for teenagers is to be confident and have a good self-esteem. We are constantly comparing ourselves to peers, celebrities, and adults. I think we all deep down inside want to be perfect and want to fit in, even if we don't admit it. And trying to be perfect can really hurt our self esteem and confidence. Some might resort to drugs or alcohol, to make themselves feel better. Some may think "I am never going to be perfect or achieve what I want, so I am just going to drink or smoke." But what does that do for you? Take the pain away? Well the pain is still going to be there after you do drugs or drink alcohol. Confidence can be achieved! Alcohol and drugs do not build self confidence-these tips do:

-Celebrate what you do best (everyone has a talent)
-Don't focus on your weakness (this is hard for me)
-Don't compare yourself to unreasonable standards (I do this ALL THE TIME and I am working on it)
-Don't berate yourself over mistakes, everyone makes mistakes, it a part of life. It's how we learn from them that is important
-Be proud of your accomplishments
-Don't let criticism get to you
-Laugh at your mistakes
-Own your weaknesses

No comments:

Post a Comment